Wednesday, 10 April 2013

M.A.C versus Australis : Liquid Eyeliner edition






Soo...a few weeks ago while i was on holiday i decided to treat myself to a visit to the MAC store and picked out their liquid eyeliner in Rapid Black. For the rest of my holiday and for about 1 week after it worked perfectly and was easy to apply.
However, in recent times it has not been doing the job. I'm not sure if it's because i have used it all up or it has dried up??

Since i had fallen in love with liquid eyeliner but out of love with MAC's version, off i went to my local Priceline to purchase another liquid eyeliner for comparison and picked up one from Australis ($10.95)

M.A.C.
Australis





















Above is the applicators for both eyeliners. The MAC sponge is definitely easier to use as it is very thin and can get super close to the lash-line. Using the Australis sponge almost always results in a thick application-even with my steady hand.  However has a richer colour payoff as can be seen in the swatches below.


As you can see in this swatch there is a huge difference in blackness? (ive never done a make up review before so not sure what the right words are). Using the MAC liner required a lot of encouragement to even reach the two faded lines on the left. 


Above is me wearing the australis eyeliner to create a winged effect. The colour is definitely strong and managed to stay this way the whole day- yahoo!
Below is a very disappointing attempt with the MAC liner (sad face). I know it is a little older than the Australis but really i feel if i'm paying $34 for eyeliner that it needs to last more than 2 weeks...


So for now i'm using the MAC sponge and dipping it into the Australis liquid although i think i would be happy enough to just use the Australis one altogether.

Has anybody else come across any disappointing MAC products?
I need to know! as i am going to get my makeup done there next week and don't want to purchase products that aren't worth it!

See my past review of Lush's BIG Shampoo

xxx Brooke

Nail polish im wearing: O.P.I Elephantastic pink

You can follow me on Bloglovin here

22 comments:

  1. It's great! So nice effect! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make such a tiny line. HOW!? No matter how careful I am, I will somehow end up with half of my eye covered in black. So not cute. My eyeliner is more like the Australis tip, do you find it hard to hold?

    Little Red Umbrellas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is difficult and hard to hold but if you remove most of the colour back into the jar before you start then its easier to fix a mistake xxx

      Delete
  3. You're great on applying eyeliner! I'm always messing it all up, like Kelsey^..Thank you for the advice, I reallt find your blog inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This eyeliner looks so easy to apply, great review!
    -Charlotte
    http://www.incharlottesshoes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a bunch for the follow! Now following you back(: Btw, I nominated you for the Liebster Award! You can find out more about this award at http://modestlysophisticated.blogspot.com/2013/04/liebster-award-4.html

    -Athenaxo
    modestlysophisticated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination! i may do it again one day :) xxx

      Delete
  6. simple and well-made review ;>
    [www.pigeongray.blogspot.com]

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a great comparison! ive been using the MAC pencil liner i like it coz you only have to apply it once but the bad thing is after wearing them for 2 hours i get the "panda eye" look .

    Delightful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately i think that happens with most pencil liners. Have a go using liquid! xxx

      Delete
  8. Aw that's a bit disappointing - I was planning on purchasing the MAC liner because I'd heard a ton of great reviews on it!

    I just found your blog & followed you on gfc :) I hope you can follow back! Looking forward to more of your posts :D <3

    Robyn ~ The Chic Image xox
    http://thechicimage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe i just got a faulty one! who knows! the felt tip on the mac liner is great during application!! xxx Brooke

      Delete
  9. Have more confidence with make up posts ~ You have done a great JOB! Well done! Haha! I cannot believe it dried up so quickly, they need to lower the price ASAP! Eyeliners always have pros and cons though.

    I don't know if Australia have Loreal, though they must have (I'm from the UK!) BUT for a drugstore product they last a long time and I can create nice lines with them! For a more highend, I like Bobbi Browns gel liner. It does not dry too quickly and its thicker so drawing it on can be easier (Although you need a very fine brush)

    Sorry for babbling! I followed you back ~ Your blog is lovely, I love the way you write your thoughts and things. Everything is super clear! Been enjoying some of your posts!

    http://throwmesomethingbeautiful.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Nadja! yes we have Loreal although i havent tried many items from them! We dont have Bobbi Brown here though.

      Thanks for visiting!!

      xxxBrooke

      Delete
  10. I find with MAC the thing they are best at are there eyeshadows, they are so pigmented and beautiful! I dont really go for anything else. really lovely blog! x
    http://theadventuresofhann.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not much of an eyeliner person. Probably the only person on the planet. :P
    I loved your thrifting post. I cant believe you got cashmere scarves at a thrift store! How awesome!

    http://between-friends-fashion.blogspot.com/

    P.S. Followed you on GFC! I hope we can be blog buddies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you have to try out eyeliner! it can make lashes look soo much thicker! :)

      thank you for checking out my blog!!

      xxx Brooke

      Delete
  12. You did this perfectly! I have some glitter liquid eye liner that I use and love it.

    ReplyDelete